Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The time I reupholstered a chair

Jon's boss' wife was getting new furniture so she was getting rid of this antique glider.  Now the picture doesn't quite so how awful this chair looked.  The fabric was stained on the seat and the fabric on the arms was ripped.  The fabric didn't match the nursery at all BUT.....Its the most comfortable chair and when you have late nights with a baby you want a comfortable chair.  Jon brought this chair home in the end of March.  I have been dreaming of how to redo it and researching it and finally last week my mom and I bit the bullet and got to work considering the baby is due an week now. 
We started by removing the millions and millions of staples to get the fabric off.  I am telling you the person who redid this chair last must have gotten paid by the staple.  It took us from 11-2:30 to take all the staples and fabric off.  Here is what the chair looked like after we had removed all the fabric.
A few days later we laid out all the fabric pieces to make our new pieces out of the gorgeous black fabric we found.  I scored JoAnn's had their upholstery on sale for 50% off so I got all we needed for $50.
Then my mom and I began putting the chair back together again.  I sanded and restained the wood on the whole chair.  We got most of it done in one day we just needed to get upholstery tacks to finish the back and put the arms on.  And here is the finished product.
 
I absolutely love how it turned out.  I couldn't have done it without my mom.  I can't wait to rock my sweet baby girl in it in just a few weeks. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

looks awesome! good job!